Sod the cliches. Pakistan’s victory over India in the Champions Trophy match today is the best thing to have happened to Pakistan since the Kerry-Lugar bill (sorry, most Pakistanis just want to see India being defeated in cricket),World T20 win. Apparently celebrations are already underway in the country, even though ended an hour or so ago.
While at some point during the match I was so despondent that I started cleaning my laptop’s keyboard, this was quite the match. Brilliant performances and a whole lotta luck and some truly fun gems online. Here’s my list:
- Firstly, kudos to Ahsan at FiveRupees for live blogging the match, simply for the entertainment value of the comments. A lovely fight broke out in the comments section, between a certain Sandy and Malik, who as someone pointed out, should take over the commentary box. Would be far better than Wasim Akram any day of the week
- The match had plenty of ‘awww!’ moments. Mohammad Aamir’s enthusiasm rockets off the television screen. He was a star during the match. Also, the probably-already-discussed-to-death blink-or-miss-it moment of Afridi kissing Shoaib Malik on the cheek, which I found terribly endearing. Give em a break, and yes, playing ‘Jumma Chumma De De’ in the stadium at the same time was ridiculous.
- Ali Khurshid on Facebook (who really should live blog cricket matches): “HEARS GUNFIRE!!! ANOTHER MOON SIGHTING?”
- Venkat Ananth on Twitter: “Man of the Match: Hafiz Saeed” (Before you get all upset, look up sarcasm in a dictionary)
- The appearance of Mr Jeem, our beloved friend (look up sarcasm again) from WT20 coverage
I’m sure there were countless more, but its 3:30 AM and I had a terrible day before the match started. Also, a huge shout out to KESC for not cutting off the electricity (at least at my house, can’t speak for anyone else) during the match and hence deferring my first foray into rioting.